Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Lump
Question: I don't know if its a pimple but its tender and has white stuff coming out.....every three days white stuff comes out and the bump is tender when I mash down on it.....can you help....
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a sebaceous cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Even though it requires a clinical assessment of the bump for a proper diagnosis, from your history it seems to be a sebaceous cyst (you did not mention the site), which gets infected time and again causing this tenderness.

If I were your doctor, after a general clinical assessment, I would advise you not to fiddle with the bump to prevent it getting recurrent infections, go for an anti inflammatory drug along with a proton pump inhibitor, and advise you for a broad spectrum antibiotic. With this course of action, the infection in the bump could be controlled, and after some routine blood tests like a CBC and a Blood sugar test, I would plan for an excision biopsy of the bump under an antibiotic cover, and send the excised specimen for a histopathology study. Further management would depend on the hitopathology report of the specimen.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Thanks Doc....
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Courtesy reply

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ! You are welcome. I would like to know the diagnosis by your doctor. Thanks. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon