Suggest treatment for sciatica

Posted on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: had left hip replacement on 22nd march, have not recovered well, now suffering severe sciatic pain in same leg, for which am prescribed Tramadol 100mg with Panadol qds, I am experiencing muscular spasms in lt leg,usually 30minutes after taking drug , is this anything to worry about ? no other symptoms so far
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be pressure during surgery or slipped disc.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Severe sciatic pain after hip replacement could be due to
1. Pressure on nerve during operation- which should have gone by now
2. Slipped Disc - The probability of slipped disc is very high if the pain is persisting and the leg is moving well. In this case I would suggest pain killers , muscle relaxants , a combination of Pregabalin + Methycobalamine and physiotherapy including back exercises. The muscular spasms in calf are in favour of slipped disc.
Since MRI may not be possible due to hip replacement- in case the problem is not solved ,CT may be required.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon