• question-icon

Suggest treatment for redness on the arm after a spider bite

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am in Maine and have a bite on my arm that is probably spider. This morning it was small and warm to touch.I took 2 teaspoons of Claritin and covered it with Benadryl cream. The red and hot area is now spreading 8 hours later. Any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Management of spider bite

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Since you notice the redness and swelling worsening, major concern is presence of infection or bite by more toxic spider like brown recluse spider.
You can continue taking claritin, apply ice pack to reduce inflammation.
You can take Tylenol (if not allergic) of pain develops.
Apply mupirocin ointment to fight bacteria if infected.
I would also recommend following up with a primary care provider to assess the need for oral antibiotics. For bites from more toxic spider like brown recluse, even treatment with oral corticosteroids may be needed for proper skin healing.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal