Suggest treatment for recurrent cough and muffled hearing

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Last week, I visited my doctor's office to determine the reason for what appears to be a sinus issue and congestion, however only in the area of my inner left ear; coupled with a daily cough in the morning and at night. My lungs were clear, no fever, no obstruction or bacteria in the ear, throat is fine, and now going on two weeks, the condition still remains as though I stepped off a plane from a flight and my hearing (left ear only) is "muffled" (amplified;hear my self speak). Could this be an alergy issue; the doctor prescribed for one week, "Methylprednisolone", however now that I have completed the dosage, the symptoms appear unchanged. As a side note, I am a non-smoker, not around anyone who smokes, or in an environment with any form of chemicals, and do not drink alcohol.

An additional comment...During the day, I experience a "crackling" sound in the left ear, as though it is attempting to clear itself, however it never does clear.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A side effect of air travel i.e Eustachian Tubal Blockage.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Yes it may happen with allergy too. But the most importantly you have got your Eustachian Tube of left ear blocked with air travel. It happens when the XXXXXXX descends or ascends with a speed of hundreds of miles per hour suddenly in short period of time.

I suggest you some exercises for the mouth to make the Eustachian tube open:-
**Chew sugar free bubble gum most of the time in day especially at evenings and mornings too. It will help you get better.
**With your lips closed, move your jaw joint (Temporomandibular joint) as if you are chewing food but don't touch upper and lower teeth with each other.
**Wide open your Mouth with stretch sustained for 10 seconds. Do it many a times during morning and evening times.

Don't sneeze, cough or yawn with much pressure. Try to control the intensity of these activities and also on defecation don't push so much with force to avoid clogging the Eustachian tubes much. Avoid constipation too.

I preferably prescribe you Claritin by mouth. It will help relieve symptoms too.

Note: Eustachian tubes are a connection from throat to the inner ear to keep the outer atmospheric pressure well maintained inside the inner ear to keep the body in balance.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns. I will be happy to get back to you shortly. If satisfied here, please give a five star rating and don't forget to close the discussion.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 23 minutes later
Greetings Doctor...

I have not traveled for over 3 months. I did not have any of the symptoms until roughly two weeks ago. I was describing how it felt, and not actually having deboarded a plane recently.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the treatment guidelines please.

Detailed Answer:
I welcome you with the follow up query and appreciate your consultation by adding more points to explain the history.

Let me explain the things in a different perspective, but once again the Eustachian tube seems to be got involved in the cause of inner ear allergic inflammation. You need to carry on the exercises as described above and I am changing the antiallergic Claritin with a more potent especially best suited for your symptoms. Take instead Ebastine for 3 weeks.

I want to add that you need to take Steroid but Dexamethasone which has great anti-inflammatory and steroidal properties. Take for almost 3 weeks. It will also improve the symptoms by reducing the pressure caused by the inflammatory fluid inside the ear.

At this time you don't need antibiotics but may it be needed in future if there is some infection.

I preferably suggest you to consult your Otorhinolaryngologist for the prescription of the above mentioned drugs.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar