• question-icon

Suggest treatment for prostatitis other than Cipro, Cephalexin and Finasteride in an elderly

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hI, i AM A 75 YEAR OLD MALE WHO HAS BATTLE Prostitus most of my life. I have gone through Cipro... until it stopped working, and Cephalxin which does not work anymore. We are now trying Finastride which in 3 weeks has done nothing. AT night I get up every hour to urinate. Any suggestions that I could carry back to my Dr.? When th Cipro worked it worked very well. No fever or chills...
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible prostate enlargement, please ask your doctor for further examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello There!
Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.

You mean prostatitis right? You were treated for that and now you take Finasteride right?. Finasteride is not against prostatitis but among others to treat enlargement prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia).

I would advise you to ask your doctor about:
- To do a physical examination, urine routine and microanalysis (check for infection, a blood test to measure PSA-to look for any other pathology), USG to see what is the size of your prostate.

-There are other treatments for your condition- other medications and surgery, you should ask the doctor after s/he does all the necessary examinations you will discuss for the best treatment for you (as per the necessary diagnosis and the size of your prostate).

Hope the answer is helpfull.
Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rudina Balliu