Suggest treatment for priapism

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Lately, during the night, I started having prolonged erections just by themselves with no stimulation. They could last from one to as many as four hours off and on as I would go in and out of sleep. After that, when I got an erection while taking Viagra, my penis felt like it was about to burst on its head when I flexed it. So, I felt my penis to check it out while not having an erection, and I noticed a hard vessel deep within the interior more or less in the middle of the penis at the base by my body. I don't think this hardness was ever there before. I am 57 years old.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have what is called as Priapism

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Priapism.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) Are you taking any blood thinner drug like Aspirin?
2) Are you taking any antidepressant drugs?
3) Does erection very painful and does it get regressed itself?
4) Is there any act that initiates sexual stimulation.?
5)Do you take alcohol before going to sleep?
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation .You need to do following basic tests to find out the cause of Priapism.
1) Blood Test (R.B.C and Platelet count
2) Coagulation profile
3) Blood gas analysis from penis
4) Ultrasound scanning of penis and Colour Doppler Ultrasound scanning of penile blood circulation.

Further treatment will depend upon the results of these tests and final diagnosis.

Please do not take any drugs (Viagra) that will cause sexual stimulation and increased flow to penis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D