question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea, vomiting and pain in the upper abdomen

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: for the last 3 days, I have had diarrhea, not helped with immodium, consistency of yellow orange pulp. Nausea, no vomiting, starting today I have pain in the right upper abd, and can feel a lump. I had my gallbladder removed almost 4 years ago, and have occasionally had these symptoms since having my gallbladder out before but not this long. I can't eat, I'm able to drink some, but not coffee. The pain is dull but there.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It could be due to infection of Gastrointestinal tract.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Diarrhoea could be due to infection of the Gastrointestinal tract . It could be due to intake of contaminated food or water.

I prescribe Antibiotic Rifaximin200mg twice daily for 5 days to my patients with diarrhoea for quick recovery.

Pain in the upper abdomen could be due to large bowel infection. So, I add a Pre and probiotic capsule twice daily for 5 days along with antispasmodic tablet like Meftalspas twice daily for 5 days to my patients with similar complaints. For Nausea, I give RABEPRAZOLE along with Domperidone capsule once daily for 5 days before breakfast.

To confirm whether lump is actually present or not , you should get an Ultrasound abdomen.
Please consult your doctor, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.

Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.

If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon