What causes chest pain after eating?

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi I have chest pain after I eat or when I lay down and it's so painful them my neck starts throbbing and I went to the er the other night and they said it's probably GERD . this happens almost every day/night. Mainly after I eat
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like GERD but other causes need to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can e GERD but still for every chest pain you should have an EKG though pain isnt cardiac from the history. The throbbing in neck need workup for blood pressure and detailed examination for any aneurysm in greater blood vessels and may need baselines echo cardiogram and chest Xray, if examination suggested so.

A gastroenterologist review and Barium studies may also be needed. PH monitoring and manometry can be done as last resort, and not now.

Meanwhile using antacids like omperazole before meals will help. Motility agents like domperidone or itapride should also be used. Taking small but frequent meals will help. Avoid spicy, sour, heavy, or junk meals. Avoiding lying straight after taking meals for at least an hour.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 17 minutes later
Hi! Thank you for your fast response Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin. So at the emergency room they did EKG & Chest X-ray and took blood and everything came back fine. I have been having these symptoms for about 3 years now on and off. I am overweight at 200lbs and my height is 5'7. When I was dieting about a year ago and not overweight this went away so maybe being overweight is what's triggering this? So what do you think my next step should be?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Next step would be gastroenterologist review and Barium studies

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. That is relieving that all other tests came back normal, and cardiac and chest casues have very much been excluded.

Next step should be to get gastroenterologist review and ideally to get an upper GI endoscopy however other non invasive tests like barium stuides or CT chest and abdomen can be done to rule out any physical lesion causing pain after meals like hiatal hernia etc.

If you have any other concerns feel free to share. Regards
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin