• question-icon

Suggest treatment for painful swelling in upper back

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: hello, I have swelling in my upper left back that is very painful to touch. the pain also runs down my arm and is worse when sitting. pain is also moving into the left side of my neck. lifting my arm up makes the pain almost go away. no fever. pain has been getting worse for about a week. I am female.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis likely.

Detailed Answer:
Pain in upper back with pain in the neck along with some swelling is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon