What causes constant headaches after an adenotonsillectomy?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My daughter had an adenotonilectomy done in January this year..Since May she is complaining of head aches there were on and off episodes .Adose of ibugesic plus would relieve her.But since the last ten days se has been experiencing continous episodes of headache.She also had flu and fever so the pediatrician associated it with it.But even with the flu gone she is experiencing these headaches.She says they originate from her neck and travel through half her head.We had her eye check up done and the reports are normal.The pediatrician has now adviced us to go for an MRI of brain and EEG..Should we go ahead or go for an another opinion.And who should we consult another pediatrician or a neurologist
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic headache

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Headache in your child is probably not related to tonsillectomy as procedure had been done way back in January.
You should consult a neurologist for this.
Headaches in children are mostly related to refractory errors which has already been ruled out.
An examination by a neurologist will be helpful. An MRI head would be better to be done under supervision of a neurologist.
Is there any pain on neck movement?
Any further questions are always welcome.
I hope my advise proves helpful.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
yes she does have pain in the neck movement she finds it difficult to lift her neck when she is having severe head ache
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post tonsillectomy headache

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
I would advise you to get the child examined by an orthopaedic surgeon. A MRI of the neck might be required rather than a MRI head. There might be some iatrogenic neck injury.
You are always welcome with any queris in future too.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj