What causes liquid sensation in the scalp and arm numbness?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Good evening,

3 months ago I suffered a sever concussion and had symptoms until about 3 weeks ago. I believe as part of my injury I experienced whiplash. Two weeks ago, when trying to return to the fitness center I injured my neck which resulted in me having facial numbness for a couple of days as well as finger numbness and twitching. I took some naproxen and the symptoms got better after a few days, however since a week ago I've been feeling as if there was some cold liquid on top of my head. This feeling comes and go and I've noticed my arms go numb when I sleep and sometimes it takes me about 20 second to get them back to normal. I am quite nervous if this can be due to the neck injury or if it is a sign of something more serious such as a neurological disorder.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The combination of the cold liquid feeling with arms going numb during sleep is not indicative of a neurological disorder. That is because those symptoms do not correspond to a common brain or spinal cord region, could not be due to the same lesion explaining them. The fact that the symptoms fluctuate and aren't permanent supports that as well.
What could be the reasons....regarding that cold feeling I believe that unless there are any dermatological issues, any visible scalp skin changes, it is more likely due to anxiety. It is not due to a neurological issue, not only doesn't correspond to a brain area as I said but neither to any peripheral nerve distribution.

As for the arms going numb during the night that could be due to peripheral nerve compression. It may happen due to compression in the neck, or more downwards such as the thoracic outlet or carpal tunnel syndrome. The recent neck issues you've had would make the neck the most likely culprit. For the moment I would give it some more time. If symptoms persist then perhaps a neck MRI and nerve conduction studies might be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.