• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain and swelling at wound site

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Accident and Emergency
Question: A week ago I was walking my dog and she suddenly charged at a cat, resulting in the leather leash rubbing against my finger, resulting in a shallow cut. When I got back home I applied hydrogen peroxide, then put on betadine and wrapped in bandaid. I took care not to contact water. But over the past week the wound started to get red all around, and is painful to the touch and a little swollen. I figure it is infected looking, probably because the bandaid I put on it prevent oxygen from contacting the wound, causing an anaerobic environment where bacteria grew. And I'm worried about tetanus as I haven't had any tetanus vaccination before. Do tetanus present itself as an infected wound? I had used that leather leash for a few years now, never washed it so it's definetly not clean. Here's a photo of the infected wound: http://tinypic.com/r/20tp950/9
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....take tetanus as well as an antibiotic course.
Detailed answer.....
I have read your query and seen the photograph.
You need to things to be done...
Better to get a tetanus injection
Take an antibiotic course as well regular cleaning of wound and dressing with beta dineĀ 
In my practice,I usually give a broad spectrum antibiotic like AUGMENTIN 625 mg three times a day for five days in such cases.
You can consult your doctor for the discussion as well as prescription.
Nothing to worry as it should heel within 4-5 days of starting the antibiotic.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hi Doctor, thank you for the reply. Isn't it now too late to get tetanus injection as it's already been 7 days?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
It is not necessary to always get tetanus immediately after wound.
One can get tetanus within 24 hours of infection or tetanus can occur even many months after the infection.
So better to get tetanus injection.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta