Suggest treatment for pain and numbness in the left arm

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have developed a pain in my left arm. it goes right down my arm to my wrist.It see,s to be mostly in my elbow and lower arm though. it feels like a nerve pain and there is a numbness feeling below the elbow. my arm works, although there is constant low pain level and if i fully extend it, it really hurts. I cannot sleep on either side without pain or turnover. I can only sleep on my back or sitting upright?
I thought I felt a pinching feeling when picking up a light chair a few days ago? Have I damaged a nerve? what course of action should pursue?
Thank-you, XXXXXXX Pope
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be cervical radiculopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic surgeon.
in my opinion this pain would be due to pressure on one of the nerves probably at the level of neck, called cervical radiculopathy.
I suggest pain killers,muscle relaxants and pregabalin + physiotherapy.
If there is no relelief in 5_7 days then I would go for MRI cervical spine and NCV of both upper limbs.
Thanx for the question. please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 23 minutes later
I notice if I turn my head fully right....no pain. If I turn my head fully left, I feel a shot of pain all the way down my arm. I also feel the same pain if I cough. Is this helpful to support your diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis is same.

Detailed Answer:
hi I am Dr Gopal Goel.
Your current description clinically confirms that the origin of pain is from neck where one of the nerve is pressed.
Go ahead with plan as I have written earlier.
Thanx again.