• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for ovarian cyst

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I was just diagnosed with a 3 inch ovarian cyst and doctors now suspect endometriosis which does run in my family. I had severe pain weeks later and thought I was dying. Went to the e.r. but the pain left so after 6 hours waiting had to leave. I have suffered in agony about 8 years and just started hormones and have a iud now, not the copper. This is when the cyst came around 3 months later. I had some tingling in my fingers and feet. Even swelling...could this be cancer? I go for another ultrasound to see if it shrinks or the doc will remove it surgically.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This cyst does not seem to be a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will answering your concerns today.
I have gone through the notes. Considering the history of chronic pain and family history, it appears that the ovarian cyst that you have is endometriotic cyst. Since when you have the hormone IUD? Did this pain reduce after the IUD insertion.

This cyst does not seem to be a cancer. Cancer is an extremely remote possibility. Take oral contraceptive pills for three months without a break. If the pain subsides it confirms that you have endometriosis and the cyst also is probably due to that.
I also suggest you to do CA 125 as a baseline marker. It is slightly raised in endometriosis. But if it is very high it suggests cancer.
Repeat ultrasound after three months.
If the cyst has not reduced in size you may consider its excision.
I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 16 hours later
Hi Dr. Ramadevi,

Yes, I am almost pain free after having the insertion back in November. I used to be debilitated and folded over without being able to walk or sit straight. And would have to lay still for hours and stay in the bed for days because nothing prescribed for pain worked anymore.

However, months after getting the iud the cyst was found after I had pain on my left side and could not locate the iud strings. The doctor did an ultrasound to see if the iud was still there and it was and she also found the cyst.

I will have them do the ca 125 just to be on the safe side.

Your response has been very helpful and lessened the anxiety I experienced. Thank you so much...

Have a great day!
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
If surgery is needed, go for laparoscopic surgery.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your nice words.

From your notes it is clear that you have endometriosis and the cyst you have is most likely endometriotic cyst. Repeat the ultrasound after 3 months. As I said before if the cyst is not decreasing in size go for surgery. I suggest that you go to a good laparoscopic surgeon and have it removed by laparoscopy ( key hole surgery).

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns do write to me. I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Answered by
Dr. Ramadevi Wani


Practicing since :1985

Answered : 1318 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Severe pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, My husband has pus filled pimples in the backside of his head. He has very oily hair. We have observed that they come up whenever he has sweets...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I have a severe pain in my right arm, actually in the muscle, upper arm... also started as a long standing fibromyalgia pain for years in shoulder...

doctor1 MD

If I might have had a heart attack 4 nights ago, should I go to emergency now? I have an appointment to see my doctor in 3 weeks. I'm 52 yr old...

doctor1 MD

Hello, my dr. Is out of of office for next week. Medical imaging called me to tell me that they picked up a 22 mm cyst on my left ovary . And a...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Hello, my name is Michael Boswell. I am a 22 year old part-time student living with my mother. I am writing because I have been to one...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ramadevi Wani
  • Q - What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?

  • Q - What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?

  • Q - How to confirm date of conception?

  • Q - Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

  • Q - Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?

  • Q - What causes early period after having Postinor-2?

  • Q - Can TSH test be done after breakfast?

  • Q - suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus

  • Q - What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?

  • Q - Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?