Suggest treatment for non fungal scars on lower legs

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My 16 yr old son has developed a rash on his lower legs. Red, bumpy and a few have filled with pus. Trying to narrow down what it could be. Don't think it is fungal because I had nystatin and triamcinolone cream which we tried already, hasn't made a difference. It is concentrated in area where his hi socks cover. Could it just be clogged pores or hair follicles? He does have more hair growing there right now. Any other ideas what it could be ?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Impetigo!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rash that your son has developed. I have taken a look at the picture. This is suggestive of a bacterial infection, impetigo. Impetigo is a bacterial infection caused by the staphylococcus. This manifests as pus filled vesicles.

Treatment consists in disinfecting regularly with an antiseptic. If they are many, then a systemic antibiotics like cloxacillin is prescribed to take care of the infection.

In all, bacterial infection possible caused by staphylococcus. Treatment consist in local disinfection and oral antibiotics if pustules are extensive.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Than you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information if need be.