• question-icon

Suggest treatment for neuropathy in the right foot

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had neuropathy for several years - especially in my right foot. Then I had back surgery for spinal stenosis in XXXXXXX 2016. The back pain was eliminated, but the neuropathy in my right foot is much worse following the surgery. I don't have pain with it, but the control of the foot and my balance is now very deficient. I have never been diabetic. I am wearing an ortthodic for foot drop. I am thinking about increasing my vitamin B intake. What would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The nerves controlling balance might have been damaged!

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The system controlling back also passes through the spinal cord. This surgery might have inadvertently interrupted this system. This explains why you might be unable to feel the position of your body and adjust accordingly. Vitamin B wouldn’t do any help but am also sure this will not harm you. Feel free to take it.

I will fall back to physical therapy, with methods to help you consciously control yourself and gain some balance. Also, it will not be a bad idea to take some fall prevention classes and consider supportive measures while walking.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as you please.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah