Suggest treatment for nasal congestion

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: nose gets blocked when sleeping so breathing happens through mouth due to that throat infection happens when I sleep in AC or when humid weather
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
First rule out Rhinitis Medicamentosa.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This blocking of the nose is very common. To some extent it is part of the normal nasal cycle in which one side of the nose has increased resistance to breathing.

2. If the reason for your blocked nose is the regular use of Otrivin nasal drops, this is known as Rhinitis Medicamentosa.

3. Allergy to cold air and changes in humidity are also common causes.

4. Get your nose examined by an ENT Specialist whi can prescribe medication to reduce this nasal blockage.

5. Mouth breathing due to a blocked nose leads to frequent sore throats. Do you snore during sleep?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 minutes later
Yes this has resulted in snoring and yes soar throat is a common problem due to cold weather or humid climate.

What's the solution I need to consult someone or some yoga or something can help???
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an ENT Specialist.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Consult an ENT Specialist.

2. A sleep study should be done.

3. There is no harm in starting yoga exercises.

Regards.