Suggest treatment for lower back pain and insomnia

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I have lower back pain and I don't know what is causing it.

I also get very hot at night and insomnia. I have tried over the counter sleep aids and they don't help.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be a muscular spasm or sciatica which is not dangerous and very common .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion that could be a muscular spasm , sciatica, due to a bad sitting or sleeping posture or heavy lifting , vigorous movements or a fall .pain may subsides simultaneously by time or by relaxing .
you may use painkillers like advil tab when needed , hot massages with topical gels , B12 supplements , spinal straightening exercises , physiotherapy and even yoga are helpful .
If pain persists i suggest Xrays and MRI on your lumbar spine to exclude any disc herniations or any minor fissures that may be the cause of pain . for proper evaluation and management of your case if pain persists .

Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 42 minutes later
did you get my question about being hot at night and not being able to sleep also?

Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I had asked about a male friend of mine that is having hot sweats and insomnia. However, I have not heard back from you for over an hour now. I know you are probably very busy. If you would, please pass this on to another doctor or answer yourself when you get a chance.
Thank you very much for your help with this matter.
Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
night sweating maybe due to common cold or fever , on the counter antibiotic with pregabalin as an analgesic will be fine .

Detailed Answer:
night sweating maybe due to fever is usually due to common cold or any kind of infection .
being unable to sleep maybe due to low back pain with pain killers and gentle massages with hot foments will help him sleep some analgesics or painkillers like pregabalin tabs could help both with pain and could help him sleep .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your answers.
Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
your welcome , i hope your friends feel better and wish you good health

Detailed Answer:

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,