Suggest treatment for low sperm motility

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: hi i m 31,we trying for a baby since 2 yrs,i had infection,prolactin increased,egg size was not proper,but after medication of infection,egg size is proper now,prolactin is low. All harmonal, blood test has been done.i have little gastroenteritis problem.
my husband has low sperm motility issue,its 35 % motile,55 sluggish,getting better.what are the chances and what can more we do for d success. please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tubal patience tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

Could you tell me more regarding what infection you had and what medications you took for the same?

Sometimes pelvic infections could affect fertility by affecting the tubes. Have you done any tests for checking the Fallopian tubes, like XXXXXXX Test.

Once the sperm count and quality improves you definitely have a better chance, you could consider Clomiphene, follicular studies and intrauterine insemination.

Let me know if you've any further doubts..

Hope this helps,
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 19 hours later
Hello mam,
It was PID, med were INFA-VT tinidazole, ambigut for GIT, miprogen, folic acid, cb lin for prolactin etc.
I have tried clomid before the treatment of infection, after treatment of infection eggs size has been improved.actually i am scared of tubal test,its v painful.though doc has asked me to wait.husband's sperm count is v good but motility is low.
how much is required for the conception and what more can be done for the improvement?
Follicular studies are being done every month.
this month i got my period late,thou there was a spotting before 5 daz of beginning of period,what could be the reason?
also suggest diet instructions,i m a non vegie too.
is it necessary to have tubal test before IUI?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tube test neccessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear,

I think its better to get the tubes checked, more so because you have had PID.
Pelvic infections may affect tubes and if tubes are affected then no amount of clomiphene and IUI will help.

We need to first find a cause, rule out all factors and only then can we hope for treament to be a success.

The eggs are fine, sperm is fine, then there must a reason that you are finding difficulty in conceiving.

You should go for tube tests, if you feel the XXXXXXX test(HSG) is uncomfortable, you may also consider laparoscopy where anaesthesia is given to you, so you will not feel the pain and if at all any problem is identified they could try it correct it simultaneously.

But do get a tube test with before undergoing IUI.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 26 hours later
ok doc, thanx.

How much sperm motility is required for d conception?
Please suggest diet for us.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sperm motility of 40 % or more is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

While analysis of semen, we see that ,Volume:1.5 mL, pH:7.2 or more
Motile:6 lakh or more/ml, Sperm:15 lakh/ml or more, Motility 40% or more and 58% should be alive.

So with slight further improving your partner's semen will definitely be in normal range.

Regarding Diet, there is no particular required for conceiving, but a healthy lifestyle with exercise, and appropriate physical activity is good.

Diet would depend on your present Body Mass index. But in general avoid fatty and spicy food is a must. Plus eating atleast 2-3 portions of fruits and vegetables to maintain vitamin and mineral content is good.

If at all you or your partner smoke or drink do avoid completely. Take folic acid and all the best.

Hope this helps.