Suggest treatment for low grade fever and cough

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good Morning,
My 78 yr old mother in law is visiting from Florida. She started with the chills and nausea on Sunday. Her chills have persisted on and off all week, and she has had a low grade fever, 101.5 initially, now 100.4 for several days. Chills come and go. No diarrhea, no stomach upset, but she didn't eat much for two days. Ate well last evening, but listless and low fever this am. No other apparent symptoms. no upper respiratory symptoms.
any thoughts?

I did want to add that she had a cough for a few days that seemed to go away, but then the next symptoms followed.It started around New Year's Eve, then was fine during NYDay, but returned slightly on and off The cough was not constant, but she had periodic moments where she would cough noticeably for a few minutes, then it would subside. It is not productive, she is not coughing up phlem. Isn't coughing this am.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sounds more on a viral infection to me!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this information fully and can't see any clues for a possible bacterial infection. I will not add antibiotics at this time but monitor and continue with the ongoing symptomatic approach. Increase fruits, fluids as well as regular physical exercise might help accelerate her recovery. However, if the fever worsens or she develops chest pain or becomes breathless, I will suggest a chest X-ray. This will help look for possible lungs involvement and guide on whether to add an antibiotic or not.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.