Suggest treatment for itching on the scalp, arms and legs

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I an a 74 yr old woman, very active businesswoman. Approx 1 month ago, dr put me on Losinopril and for the past few weeks, I have felt ready to jump out of my skin and itchiness all over, scalp, arms, legs. I had taken Benicar (10mg) and although it worked great, I felt lightheaded often and dizziness, plus cramping In legs. Gather all of these Ace inhibitors and other meds have side effects so key is to find the right one which causes the least side effects, Since I started taking the Lisinopril, I started a regular exercise program, cut out bread and sugar so since I live in nyc and walk a lot, am hopeful that I won't need BP meds. Seeing dr on Mon but would like to stop Losinopril tonight, BP was about 150/67 when he put me on Losinopril.. Question is, what other medication can do what Benicar did w/out side effects.
Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, It is possible to be intolerant to any medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, It is possible to be intolerant to any medication even if you have no history of allergies. I would suggest you halve the dose of Lisinopril till you can see your doctor. If you have a BP instrument at home, or can check it somewhere it would be great. There are now numerous alternatives to Ace inhibitors and I'm sure your doctor will choose one of them. Meanwhile take a tablet/capsule containing Omeprazole 40 mgs a day, Fexofenadine 120 mgs once a day and Chlorpheneramine maleate half tablet a day of 25 mgs. till you can see your doctor. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T