Suggest treatment for insect bite rash

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I think I had some insect bites which have developed into rush. It does not respond (for a few weeks now) to any over- counter ointment (anti fungal, anti itch, antibiotic). Next available appointment with dermatologist is in about a month from now. Please help. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the pic attached. It could be tinea/ ringworm or contact dermatitis.
I would need some more pics showing these lesions and site involved properly.
I would also like to know
Since how long you have it
Exact sites involved
Size and shape of these lesions
If these lesions are itchy
Answer these queries so that we can take this discussion further.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt response, Dr. Pathank
I have it for a month+
Over the left elbow
about 2 inches long (the largest one)
Itchy, but not all the time and does not make me crazy/want to scratch
I had three bites in a row initially which were very itchy and was scratching them, then this developed.
more images attached.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending more pics. After seeing the lesions more closely and as per your clinical history, these lesions look more like eczema.
Sometimes itch induced by an insect bite can trigger development of eczematous patch.
Right now I would advise you to take tablet levocetrizine twice in a day and apply a potent steroid cream like mometasone or clobetasol over affected area twice in a day. Cortizone being a mild steroid cream might not have given you much results. Also apply a good moisturising cream over affected area. Let me know after four or five days, if the lesion is resolving or not.
Should there be doubt,please write back.