Suggest treatment for infected blister on sole of the feet

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I'm 71 years old, and have had a problem with a callus on the bottom of my metatarsal(?) for years. In the last couple of months, I have been sanding it down as much as possible, and have eventually discover that underneath the callus, there appears to be a pocket of fluid, like a blister or boil is there. I found a medical device in a catalog that has helped keep the pain down while walking....it's called a gel cushion metatarsal strap. It' fits me perfectly, and really does a good job. But I'd hate to have to wear it all the time and keep sanding the callus all the time. I sort of think I could puncture the blister at it's edge, squeeze out the fluid, apply a safe disinfectant and proper band aids, and keep it clean 'til it seal up again.
I'm serviced by the VA medical system, and it'd take many months for me to get in to see a podiatrist about it. If it were serious enough, I could go the emergency room, saying I'm very worried about the blister part of it. Sorry it's this is so long, but I hope some one could at least let me know if I should be worried about some bad infection....like msra. Thanks you for your time. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blister are natural cushion (Bursae)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and I hope you are not diabetic?
These blisters like formation are normal under the callus and are medically known as Bursae.They are formed to give natural cushioning effect just like your gel strap. These bursae are present at bony prominence to give softness at that site like at elbow, In front of knee to help in kneeling and so on.
Whenever there is infection of them you have fever, redness,severe pain and tender to touch. Do you have any feature as mentioned above?

Meanwhile you may continue with gel cushion metatarsal strap.
Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infected blister on sole of the feet 21 hours later
Hi Dr. Chugh. Thanks for your reply. I am not Diabetic, my temperature is 96.6, but there is redness, pain, and tender to the touch. The blister seems to contain a very large amount of fluid. When I press on it, I can produce what looks like it is starting to "roll over" a bit. I'm very willing to go to the VA Emergency Dept. if you think they could do anything to help my situation. Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are suggestive of Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through your reply it seems there is Infection with resultant abscess formation.Hence, it is my sincere advice to visit the Emergency department for physical examination and further treatment.
Take care and wishing you early recovery. If you have further query please do not hesitate.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infected blister on sole of the feet 36 hours later
Hi Doctor. I went to the ER at the VA Hospital and they said the callus area was not infected, and will try to get me a referral to a VA Podiatrist for a solution to the callus problem. Thanks so much for your help. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for nice words and wishing you good health and early recovery. If you have more query I shall be glad to answer them or you may please close the present discussion.