What is Callus?

A callus is a thickened area of skin due to repetitive friction or other source of irritation, such as pressure from a poorly-fitting shoe. However there is another meaning. When a bone is broken, or fractured, there is new bone growth at the broken ends. This growth is what eventually causes the broken parts to come back together, in other words, to heal.

- Written by

Questions and answers on "Callus"

My grandfather has a callus like spot on his foot. It appeared on both feet and it hurts to squeeze. The feel of it feels like a callus on your hand but it s affecting his mobility.
thanks for query,
It is possible that due to change of gait due to osteoartheritis of joints he might have callus like skin thickening formation on foot.
Use salicylic acid cream on the thick skin.
Wear sponge bedded sandle or chapple or shoes.
Ok and bye.
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
hello, i am a 37 yr old female with pretty fair health, i do suffer from oseoarthritis in my hips and lower back, hip resurfacing about 5yrs ago. kind of have some bad feet, had a bunionectomy on my right foot, will need another on my left sometime in the future as it is starting to bother me. I suffered from calluses use to play sports and wore a lot of sneakers however now the sole of my feet not only have brown spots all over but my skin is not clear on bottom or sides it looks as if the pigment color changed.
u need to consult dermatologist
ur pigmentation may be due to age or allergy
apply good moisturizer cream twice a day
dont stand for long time as it may be due to schemberg disease
drink more water
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
i have a calius on my penis fromm masterbating what can i buy over counter to get rid of it
Brief Answer:
Use creams with vit E, moisturizers and lubricants

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

You must use lot of lubricants like ky jelly. This will decrease friction and protect the penis skin from developing cuts and bruises....
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
Over the last few weeks I have developed a small, painful 1/4 inch diameter bump on my index finger. At first it looked like there was a small white dot underneath the skin, but there is now a bump at the surface. .
Brief Answer:
Thickened skin lesion : corn or wart

Detailed Answer:

The skin lesion over your hand is basically a thickened skin lesion which can either be a corn or a hand wart.
Now this type of skin lesion tends to develop due to continuous friction over a specific area of the hand. Only by...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have dark spots (very small, on the order of a mm or less) on my hand generally under where a callus typically develops (I lift weights and frequently develop calluses). At first I thought it may have been a spliter, but when I cut through the skin to get there, it appeared more stringy and very difficult to remove, and can be painful when I try and remove other strings. What could this be?
Hello dear,
Thanks for the query.
You mentioned tiny dark spots under a callus, which become stringy when you cut them.
These all are typical signs of viral wart.
This need to be removed by radio frequency ablation or LASER, followed by application of an acid to kill the virus completely....
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I have a small growth on the inside of my left middle finger. It's about 1/4" in diameter, skin colored and painless. It just seems like a callous but it's not an area where I hold a pen, or commonly cause friction. I've had it for a number of years now, it has never grown bigger or really changed. I can clip it down to the skin line with no pain, it just makes the area red, then grows back. No pain when I clip it down either. It's just like clipping away a callous or dead skin.
Thanks for writing to us.
Sometimes callosity or hyper keratosis can occur over non dominant hand which is not subjected to usual pressure and friction.

To treat this area of hyperkeratosis, I would suggest that you pare or clip the lesion completely and start applying a salicylic acid...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
I'm 69, six feet tall, weigh 225. I have a left bundle branch block that has been controlled with drugs and exercise for the last 18 years. the mid knuckles on my right index and middle finger have taken on a callus like look and the skin peels from time to time. I do no work or exercise that would incur calluses. It seems to me it must be symptomatic, probably of my paranoia.
Thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all let me reassure you that the symptoms you are experiencing are not reflective of any type of worrisome process. I...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
One day, about 4 months ago, the sole of my foot, where my heel and arch XXXXXXX started hurting. There was nothing on the outside of the foot to indicate a problem until about a month into this a little speck the color and size of beach sand popped out. A few weeks later that hole was bigger and the skin inside crumbled away. Outside of this small, XXXXXXX crater is a callous encircled with a white ring that is only visible at times particularly after Epsom salt soaking. A few days after the erosion I pulled a soft "plug" out of the center which immediately started bleeding bright red, but stopped after a minute or two. Since then my hole has grown. I've pulled out several other "plugs" which are all about 4mm XXXXXXX skin colored and very strong. They usually bleed a very little. Only one had a dark thread in it. I do pumice the callous part since it is so thick. The pain waxes and wanes. Walking has become difficult. Oh, and I should mention that if I press down on it or pull it open there's no pain. Only when it's squeezed or there's side to side pressure does it hurt. I am a 38 year old female with no medical conditions. What do I have? And, can I treat it at home?
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the spot on your foot it seems to me like there is some kind of inflammatory process going on....
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
Hello Doctor, I've lumps on my arms and forearms, a couple on my legs. An year back i consulted a general physician and he told me that it's callous -- something like dead muscle/skin -- and won't harm. But i'm a bit comcerned as the size of lumps hasn't reduced. Pls advice.
Brief Answer:
Apply Salicylic acid based creams

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

A callous of the skin also called Corn is a collection of dead skin and occurs due to continuous friction.

Applying Salicylic acid based cream like Salex twice daily over the lesions would help to get rid...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
My husband has on both feet.. problem with his 4 and 5 toes, open leasions, sores, callus line behind the toes, seepage and fluid of a pink to red color. He has been to his family Dr., podiatrist, dermatoligist and 4 hosp. facilities, has taken 4 types of pills 6 different creams, various soaks, powders NOTHING is working.....64 yr old male light smoker, was more,but has cut down, BP good135/55 weight 201 6'2" no other apparent health problems, he is on 10mg/7.5 mg cumidin alternating days level most recent was 2.2 gets regular Dr. visits 3-4 weeks. he has been told it is Ath. Feet, but this has been ongoing for 15 months........
Hi and thanks for the query,
I suggest be sent for culture and sensitivity tests. This should permit exclusion of possibility of bacterial infection or fungal infection. Fasting blood glucose levels should be done to exclude diabetes mellitus. A cytologic analysis should be done. Biopsies of the...
Read Full Thread     Ask a Doctor Now »
View more

Health resources related to Callus

A Doctor will be with you shortly
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor