• question-icon

Suggest treatment for increased heart rate, uneasiness and lack of energy

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hi I have af and I take beta blockers for it. I have a severe case of the flu and my heart rate is sitting on 136 for the last two days. I am feeling really ordinary. I have been to the doctor. I am on steroids, two different antibiotics and codene for a severe cough. My phlegm is still dark green even though the temperature has gone most of the time I feel really unwell and have absolutely no energy what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your heart rate is high and it needs to be brought down.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that your uneasiness and lack of energy is due to two reasons

1. AF with fast heart rate
2. As you are on two antibiotics

Your heart rate is high and it needs to be brought down. As you are already taking beta blocker so probably you need to add another group of drug like calcium channel blockers to control heart rate.

Also I would like to suggest to get an ECG done. It's advisable that you should personally consult your cardiologist for additional medicine for rate control.

Don't worry just keep yourself well hydrated and you will feel better once your flu subside as fatigue and malaise are common association of flu. And most importantly you need to take proper bed rest for a couple of days.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist