Suggest treatment for h.pylori gastritis

Question
Hi I would just like to ask , I am a very healthy young fit 50 year old lady who has helicobactor pylori and its very persistnet I have had 3 treatments so far to treat this the first 2 were the usual nexium hp7 and they didn't work ,the level of hp is over 2000 from the blood test but recently I have just finished the course of norfloxacin which its too early to see if it has worked but I feel it hasn't as I can taste the off smell from my breath occasionally , My question is was the last treatment the correct one as I am having a slight persistent pain on my fight side under the rib just niggling since taking this medicine
?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Norfloxacin was never considered for H.Pylori

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If the H.pylori Gastritis was confirmed with breath test or Serology tests(blood antibodies), always the standard was triple therapy (Nexium hp7)

The treatment regimens are omeprazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin (OAC) for 10 days (OR) bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole, and tetracycline (BMT) for 14 day which has been approved for either 10 days or 14 days of treatment.

Norfloxacin was not the choice. Please remember that Hpylori exhibit great amount of resistance for macrolides (clarithromycin) so the doctor should have considered the other alternative given above.

The smell of breath is not an objective way to judge the treatment.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for h.pylori gastritis 2 days later
thank you, the first 2 treatments was the nexium hp7. The hp was positive both blood and breath with the blood test reveling the high 2000.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternative combination for 15 days.

Detailed Answer:

Nexium Hp7 contains Esomeprazole (&) clarithromycin (&) amoxycillin. The alternative is a different combination. I think he can still try that for 15 days.