• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, abdominal distention and pain

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I experienced diarrhea, abdominal distention and significant pain. No nausea, no vomiting. Saw Dr. who gave me antibiotics (no help) and stool sample-negative. colonoscopy showed microcytic colitis- but it was visible to the naked eye. Yellow fluffy enlarged descending colon to splenic flexure; from there pink and shiny. Steroids (budesenide) x 3 months. No better. Gained 60 pounds in 6 months ( size 6 to 18) SIBO develops- treat with rifaxim and plays havoc with thyroid. Perfect cholesterol is now completely off the charts. (fractionalized study done). In hindsight, I believe i was intentionally poisoned by my now ex-husband. Possible?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Microscopic colitis need not arise from poisoning

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. As already mentioned, the microcytic colitis is likely to the cause of your problems and in that case taking antibiotics is not likely to help. Rifaxim (rifaximin) is a gut specific antibiotic that might be used but although it could minimize the irritants itself, it could not necessarily reduce the inflammation. Usually good response to budesonide is obtained. However, treatment with antidiarrheals, bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol), mesalazine/mesalamine (alone or in combination with cholestyramine), systemic corticosteroids, cholestyramine, immunomodulators, and probiotics have shown to be less effective than budesonide. Anti-TNF inhibitors. split ileostomy, diverting ileostomy, and subtotal colectomy are options for management of steroid-dependent or refractory microscopic colitis. Surgery is only considered in case of very serious and non-responsive cases.

I do not think that anybody is sprinkling anything on your food and you need not worry about such a thing. Poisoning is unlikely to give you microscopic colitis. However, thyroid conditions are likely to be related and I would insist you to upload the reports for the thyroid profile.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha