Suggest treatment for high blood pressure

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: husband has high blood pressure. He's having the lower number high 87-100 but high number is normal. How can we bring his pressure down on the bottom number, he takes his medicine but doesn't help
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What medicine is he taking

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Your husband definitely has high bp. But please let me know what medicine is he taking and what dose.
The dose of that medicine need to be increased or some other medicine need to be added.
Decrease the salt intake to minimum, do regular exercise, avoid smoking & alcohol (if he is taking any of these) and the requirement of the medicine will decrease gradually & his bp will stabilize.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 9 minutes later
lisinopril 20mg tab
Brief Answer:
Keep taking the same dose for now

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Lisinopril is a very good drug & effective in controlling hypertension.
Continue taking the same dose (20mg) for now and keep monitoring the BP.

If it remains more than 90(diastolic or lower bp) then discuss with your doctor to add another medication called HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE (12.5mg) to Lisinopril which will keep it well in control.
Combination of both drugs comes in market Lisinopril + Hydrochlorothiazide (20+12.5) to be taken once daily in the morning.

If the lower/diastolic bp is around 90 or less, the dietary modifications (Low salt, low fat diet) & regular exercise will keep bp in control.

If you have any more question, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee