Suggest treatment for headache, joint pain, fever and chest congestion

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Head ache, achy, chest congestion and off and on slight fever. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
fluids, rest, symptomatic medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using HealthcareMagic,

A headache, muscle/joint pain, fever, chest congestion usually indicates viral infection of the upper respiratory --- cough/cold

Treatment is usually symptomatic, this means treating the symptoms, not the specific infection---
(1) Ample rest and fluids
(2) The Tylenol can be continued to help with the headaches, fever, and aches. If possible, please try to find combination medications with Tylenol which may help eg. 'Tylenol cold and flu' which also has a decongestant, cough suppressant and mucolytic (medication to help break up the mucus in the chest or nasal passages)

(3) Anti-histamines/decongestant combination of medication would help with the congestion. If you use Tylenol cold and flu or a combination similar med, would not need this combination-antihistamine/decongestant

(4) If the cough develops then a cough suppressant eg dextromethorphan but as mentioned above this is sometimes found in combination cold medication

Symptoms generally last 1 to 2 weeks.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee