What causes intermittent cough, nasal congestion and watery eyes?

Pediatrician
Question
Upon waking, my 11 year old daughter coughs on and off for about 45 minutes. After that, the coughing stops and she doesn't cough for the rest of the day. She often has a runny or blocked nose and sometimes she has watery eyes. I'm wondering if these symptoms are related.
Thu, 17 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic cause. Symptoms related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due an allergic component. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. The blocked nose is also due to the same cause. Giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. A blood allergy test would need to be done in that situation. Desensitization therapy based on the reports should help.

I hope that I could clear your doubts.

Feel free to write back.

Follow-up: What causes intermittent cough, nasal congestion and watery eyes? 14 minutes later
Thanks very much for your answer. I will use the medications that you recommended. She is active and playful.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Good to know. Feel free to ask me back if you ever have a health related query in the future.