Suggest treatment for cough in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor! My baby s 4 months old. She has
nose blockage and cough. Bcas of tat she s not sleeping. Some times while coughing, she is taking vomit also..my pediatrician suggested smash and odicef but there is no use of it.. my baby has no cough before using these two syrup... What should I do now? Please help me .
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is the normal progression of the disease

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details carefully and understand your concern.

Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections which usually have an allergic component associated. It is not due to the medicines that a cough has developed. It is just in the course of the natural progression of the disease that the cough has developed.

Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. You need to be patient and wait for a few more days while you continue the medicines. The cough should resolve in 5-7 days.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

I hope that I could clear your doubts.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee