Suggest treatment for headache, fever and diarrhea

Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was on holiday in Morocco a month ago, whilst I was there I was sick for about 4 days. I had a whole night of no sleep as when I relaxed my stomach would jolt, I've had this before, but not so intense and all night.. A pharmacist gave me antibiotics and loperamide for diarrhoea. I left half the antibiotics in a drawer so when I saw my doctor I mentioned it, she seemed to think as I felt okay I didn't need the rest. Nearly two weeks later I became very sick with a fever, the first nine hours the nerves in my body were bouncing around, so my body was squirming, so unpleasant. I was so weak I could barely move, felt too weak to stand, when I did it felt like my balance was off. Anyway I felt better more or less after six days, still had really bad headaches and fel lethargic.Then eight days later I had a repeat performance, which I'm on day five of,. What on earth is this?
I didn't have diarrhoea the last two occasions, when I was home. While i was in Morocco I only had fever for one night. The last two occasions it's lasted about three days. Still can't get rid of the headaches, also pain at the front and back of shoulders. I've been doing relaxation excercises though.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi Welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the detailed reply

The first attack you had was associated with fever and diarrhea which can lead to two possibilities that you acquired some sort of infection during your travelling. The diarrhea suggest that it might be Gastrointestinal tract infection however it is associated with other symptoms like nausea, bloating, abdominal cramps and spasmodic pains and sometimes the diarrhea might be a reactionary diarrhea as a result of fever.

You had second and third attack of fever and lethargy. you did not completed the antibiotic course which you were prescribed which means the infective agent was not completely eradicated and was partially suppressed due to which your symptoms were relieved for sometimes however they reoccurred on aggression of the infective agent.

I will recommend you to have blood tests for complete blood counts and tyhpi.DOT and complete stool analysis as there is high possibility they you might be having either gastric tract infection or typhoid fever. Moreover I would suggest you to visit your GP for prescription of good antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, multivitamins and antipyretics. take plenty of fluids as well.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D