Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the genitals

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 4 May 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I would like to identify what this is. I first noticed it yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and evaluated the picture you provided.

There are 2 possible causes:
-It might be a fungal infection
-It might be genital herpes.
If the lesion start without previous symptoms (like pain and itching 1-2 days before the rash)it is indicative for a fungal infection.
I would suggest to keep the area clean.
Apply Clotrimazole twice a day for some days.If it seem to help ,continue with the antifungal cream until the lesion heals.
If you have had a possible exposure to herpes lately or you have had a herpes before and the antifungal cream doesn't seem to help ,then it is possible to be genital herpes.In this case it will go on it's own for 1-2 weeks and no treatment is needed.
Avoid sexual intercourse until the rash heals.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 13 minutes later
How long does it take for a fungal infection to take place, opposed to herpes? This seem to happen a day following intercourse with my partner.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,

I apologize for the delay in answering your query.

It is not very characteristic for genital herpes to show one day after a possible infection.At least it takes 3-5 days after the exposure (it may take up to several months).
A fungal infection may cause symptoms after 2-5 days after infection but it is not always related to sexual intercourse ,which means that although you can catch a fungal infection through sex (if your partner has a fungal infection) but this is not a sexually transmitted disease.
The genital area is very prone to fungal infection because of the moisture of the skin.So you can develop a fungal infection on your own (not a transmitted infection).
A genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease.This means that someone should transmit you the virus is order to develop the infection.

In your case is most likely to be a fungal infection.I would suggest to start the antifungal cream and see if the rash will improve.

Dr.Rovena