Suggest treatment for frequent variations in TSH levels

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: From past 8 years , she is suffering from hypothyroid doctor is ask to take 100mg thyroid medicine, after her TSH increase and Doc advice her to take 150mg medicine,she went for
thyroid profile in which her TSH level go down up to 0.17, again Doc advice to reduce the medicine, she start taking 100mg for a week and then 50 mg for a week and stop taking medicine for a week and then gone for test where her TSH level increase up to 53.28

Reports are attached for your reference.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
This dose variation not recommended.

Detailed Answer:
dear XXXXXXX I don't know how your query was split in two parts so I read only one of it and answered. sorry for that. now I know the reason for your concern. you don't worry, this quick dose adjustments are not actually advised. when your wife had high TSH with 100 mcg of thyroxine, increasing the dose was right, but it should have been 125 mcg. now when it was made 150 and TSH was suppressed, it should have been brought to 125 mcg and waited for 6 weeks to see the result. speedily bringing it to 100, then 50, then stopping went a wrong decision. so in brief the message is the dose for your wife is probably 125 mcg. please make it 125 mcg and repat the test after 6 weeks and let me know. regards.