Suggest treatment for frequent nose bleeds in children

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: we have an 11 year old girl who has extremely frequent and severe nose bleeds even in her sleep. She has trauma in her life before coming to us. What could cause it? Regular first aid does little so do ice packs.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Her nasal mucosal vasculature is more and vulnerable

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... previous trauma alone cannot cause this.

Usually in the nasal mucosa there is congregation of small blood vessels called kisselbach's plexus, this is the usual cause for such bleeding.

When ever the child has the habit of nose picking or if there is crust formation in the nose then it might cause rupture of the blood vessels. The other possibility which can cause such rupture of blood vessel is high blood pressure.

Hematological disorders like low platelet count and coagulation disorders can also manifest with recurrent nose bleeds.

I suggest you get a CBC, PT and aPTT done as blood work up. Get a BP checked once for your kid.

If everything turns out to be normal, then we have to wait as it can get better as the age progresses.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth