• question-icon

Suggest treatment for frequent UTI and bowel movements

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: yes, I am wondering if you could give me an idea what is causing my frequent UTi. I am healthy, I am not diabetic, but just to give more information, I have also frequent bowel movements and it goes with urination. and I noticed that when I have less bowel movements, then I have symptoms of uti.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Are these frequent UTI confirmed by the laboratory?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I will like to know whether these symptoms are actually confirmed as urinary tract infections through urine analysis. This is because the link with frequent stools seem unlikely. We urinate each time we go to stool because these two reflexes are somewhat connected.

For now, I will suggest that you get your urine analyzed. If an infection is confirmed, the germ would be identified and treated accordingly. If they become very frequent(infections). we will investigate for possible contributing factors such as kidney stools, poor anal hygiene that promotes germ entry into the urethra and urinary passages, partially blocked urinary passages, backward flow of urine from the bladder towards the kidneys, etc.

Follow up on these and keep me updated. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 17 hours later
thank you so much. i did follow up it up and it was dx as uti. they will send my urine sample to lab corp to further investigate, and since i am due for pap smear, as soon as uti clears up they will do a through pap smear and even suggest doing an ultrasound and ct of my stomach to see what is going on there. your answer seem to be well thought of and you seem to go deeper into it and i appreciate it. are those test mentioned can help? what are the test that you can recommend that will tell if my urinary passages is partially block( and i feel it is, but i am not sure if it is) how can kidney stools be obtained and investigated? and if it is found out that my urinary passages is partially block how to unblock it? i would so much appreciate your insights. i am now taking my uti seriously and want answers. again thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

1. An abdominal ultrasound and CT scan would be able to tell whether the urinary passages are blocked or not.

2. If urinary passages are partially blocked, the cause will guide treatment options. If it is a stone, we can go up and take it out, split into pieces and allow to flow out with urine, etc. If it is a structural cause, surgery might be required, etc. First, the exact cause must be identified.

In all, these tests would be guiding. Let's follow through and see what needs to be done further.

Await updates from you!
Dr. Ivo Ditah