Suggest treatment for fever and rashes on the abdomen of a child

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: hello my 1 year old son had his 1 year check up shots 11 days ago. he had a fever the first 3 days and a small fever yesterday. he has now developed a rash on his stomach and face. I have not changed his diet or soap or anything. what caused this could it be the shots.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rash

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
There is more than one potential cause.
Though unlikely, it is possible that this could be the shots. I say unlikely because the shots were 11 days ago and shot reactions typically come out within 2-3 days.
Another possibility is a harmless viral rash. This is similar to the viruses that cause a common cold but instead of a runny nose they give you a rash. the rashes usually resolve on their own after 7-10 days.
The 3rd possibility is diet or sop or detergent. Sometimes, even when nothing new has been introduced, a sensitivity to something can develop.
If he is otherwise ok, playful, breathing comfortably, and happy, we can wait and see if the rash resolves on it's own. if it doesn't, after about a week, I recommend consulting with your doctor.
If he is not otherwise ok, not playful, not happy, I recommend consulting your doctor now to have him examined.