Suggest treatment for fatty liver

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 26 May 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have fatty liver diagnosed on ultrasound. I am going to see my GP on Monday.

I was a bodybuilder for 5 years and I put on a lot of weight (118kg) and during a routine blood test in 2011 my ALT came back as elevated. I have since had various blood tests and the ALT has gone up and down. It was 357 in December and then fell to 250 in March. I have started a strict low carb diet and I am also eating plenty of fruit and vegetables. I am trying to lose weight and to exercise more. I have not had a drink of alcohol since December 2013. I used to binge drink a lot and drink heavily.

Is this something I should be very concerned about or can this be completely reversed with lifestyle changes?

I have also attached my blood tests from September so you can take a look. I feel generally OK in myself.

I am about to order the following vitamins to assist my recovery:

Super Strength Omega 3
Milk Thistle
Super20® Pro (probiotic)

Can you tell me what I should be doing to reverse this
Is it completely revereable
Does it sound like I have damaged my liver i.e. cirrhosis?
I have also been taking Omeprazole 20mg daily for acid refluc - could this be a factor in my liver issue?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

You need to have a more comprehensive diet and fitness plan. The liver shows fatty changes right now. There is no mention of cirrhosis so most likely it is only fatty liver. Cirrhosis is an irreversible change in the liver tissue due to injury by scarring. You may have the condition due to alcoholic fatty liver and this may require regular follow up with your doctor. Taking healthy food may reverse the liver changes but not in every patient.

Its great that you have started low cab and vegetables in your diet. Your cholesterol numbers are also high and this may require a cardiac evaluation. You may take the vitamins as per directions mentioned in the packages.

Omeprazole is not connected to your fatty liver.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you are interested.

Dr.Vivek