What causes intense abdominal pain in a person diagnosed with diverticulitis?
Back story: I have had reflux for years that seemed to improve on amoxicillin two weeks before my ER trip. Doc thought it might be hard pylori (which my son had) so he added a second antibiotic. I had just finished those when I went in for the abdomen pain and CT scan showed the diverticulitis.
Not fully cured diverticulitis.
Hello my dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
For acute phase of your recurrent diverticulitis antibiotic therapy is required but once the acute phase settles down. Severe and drastic life style modificatory changes have to be followed by patient for many months to avoid recurrent attacks.
Your symptoms are suggestive of recurrence of diverticulitis.
Aa you have already taken a first line therapy for diverticulitis cipro and metro.I would suggest you to go for a stool culture and sensitivity test.Sometimes fewstrains of bacteria and prtozoans are resistant to baseline medicines therefore there is a flare up.
This test would tell whether the bacteria is resistant or sensitive to main stream antibiotics.
I would suggest you to go for this test and start taking clindamycin 600 mg in prescribed doses with Metrolgyl 800 mg thrice for 10 days.
Secondly VSL# 3 probiotic should be used twice daily for 14 days to replete good bacterias in gut.
A visit to ER would be appreciated.
Discuss the option with them and get a reeferrel for a Gastro.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What bacteria causes diverticulitis
- What causes intense abdominal pain after gallbladder and appendix removal
- Will flagyl suffice to cure abdominal pain caused by diverticulitis
- What could intense abdominal pain and vomiting after sex signify
- Intense abdominal pain after wet dream
- Does diverticulitis cause abdominal pain
- Can diverticulitis cause hip pain
- Can diverticulitis cause groin pain
- Abdominal pain blood in stools diverticulitis or colitis
- Sharp intense abdominal pains after a cystoscopy
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses