Owl Image

Suggest treatment for eye pain

Question
HOw do I treat eye pain?
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details explained..

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

You may initially use Ibuprofen 400 mg tds but its more important to find the cause of the eye pain to have a more targeted treatment.
As you have been to a doctor and you have been prescribed treatment for the blepharitis , I would advise you to continue those meds.

common causes that can lead to eye pain are given below, each has a different line of treatment so determining the cause is necessary

Blepharitis: Inflammation or infection of the eyelid that causes irritation or pain.

Conjunctivitis (commonly called pinkeye): Inflammation of the conjunctiva caused by allergies or infections (viral or bacterial)

Corneal abrasions. A scratch on the cornea is called an abrasion. It can be very painful.

Corneal infections (called keratitis):

Foreign bodies: Something in the eye -- a bit of dirt, plant debris etc

Glaucoma:Eye condition that usually has no early symptoms. severe eye pain, nausea and vomiting, headache, and decreased vision. These symptoms are an emergency and need immediate treatment to prevent blindness.

Iritis or uveitis: Inflammation inside the eye, which is uncommon. Can be due to trauma, infections, or autoimmune conditions. Symptoms include pain, red eye, and, often, decreased vision.

Optic neuritis: When the nerve traveling from the back of the eyeball into the brain becomes inflamed.

Sinusitis: Infection in one of the sinus cavities, which can create pressure behind the eyes, causing eye pain on one or both sides.

Stye (also called a hordeolum): An often painful infection or inflammation of the edges of the eyelid .

Eye care specialists use a variety of tools to diagnose eye pain, all generally used in an office setting:
A slit-lamp exam uses bright light to look into all the structures of the eye.
Dilating drops expand the pupil to allow the doctor to see deep into the eye.
A pressure-gauging instrument (tonometer or Tono-Pen) can detect high pressures caused by glaucoma

See your eye doctor or go to the E.R if you have eye pain that does not subside even after treatment, especially if you have decreased vision, headache, or nausea and vomiting.

let me know if you have any query
thanks

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for eye pain 1 hour later
You are very helpful. I will be seeing a new doctor based on the info you have given me. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
hello again

you are most welcome to ask any query you have or will have in future.

thanks