Suggest treatment for enlarged adenoid with indentation

Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: enlaarged adenoid with indentation over nasopharyngeal air shadow for 3+ male kid

is it sever problem? what type of treetment require?

pl. give suggision
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adenoids are natural

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. The adenoids are a natural part of the body. They protect the child airway from infections. Its quite normal for them to grow until a child hits puberty. Then they start shrinking.

The only two times you need to worry about the adenoids is

1) If they get so big that they are causing trouble for the child to breath (the start snoring and gasping for air when they sleep).

2) If THEY get infected themselves. In that case, the child will need antibiotics and eventually surgery to remove them. But that is the decision of an Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon.

I hope this helps,

Vinay
Follow up: Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 53 minutes later
Thanks, for the reply, but some doctors are advice
Not use antibiotics for this complaint. How to cure this.
Pl.advice.
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics should not help

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thanks for coming back. Antibiotics are not going to shrink the adenoid. This is a natural process. Unless your child HAS a fever of 101 or above, antibiotics will not help.

Antibiotics are only good for situations of INFECTION. They kill bacteria. So in this case. Given the information I have, I would concur with the other doctors and say that Antibiotics are useless as a response to the adenoid enlargement (UNLESS THEY ARE INFECTED, as mentioned above)

Unless your child is struggling with symptoms from this enlarged adenoid, there is no need for ANY treatment. The adenoids will shrink on their own as he ages.

I hope this helps,

Vinay