Does smoking and drinking cause sexual dysfunction?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Men's Health
Question: I haven’t been getting morning woods since last Sunday, I don’t get random boners anymore, I have to focus so hard for me to get a boner and it barely even lasts, this all happened after last week when I came back from a night of heavy smoking and drinking. I don’t know want to do anymore, I’m really starting to get worried. I really want to go to a doctor but I can’t have my parents finding out that I smoke and drink. Will I ever go back to having my normal boners. Please explain in detail. I’m really getting worried. What can I do to help it?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The first thing I can reassure you about is regarding random erections. These happen to young men for awhile after puberty but then having erections becomes more controlled, only occurring during sexual thoughts, activities, and in the morning. This comes as a relief to many young men who don't want to have them happening randomly.

Now about not getting morning erections. If this started Sunday and followed a weekend of heavy drinking, it is very likely to be related to the drinking. Anxiety and poor sleep routine or altered sleep cycles can interfere with it too.

Worry and distraction of your focus/thoughts can interfere with erections while awake, so if you are worried about it, that may contribute to having difficulty right now.

I recommend that you not smoke or drink, try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule, and do what you can to not think about or worry about the lack of erections right now. They will likely return after several days of this. I would not be concerned at this point as to whether you are able to get an erection once you are awake as that can be subject to one's psychological state/anxiety. However if you continue to not get morning erections, and you have given up drinking, and have returned to a normal sleep routine, then do go to see your doctor. At that point you will no longer need to share that you have been drinking, because you won't have been anymore. So give this a few days more, repair your lifestyle, and you will most likely have a normal return of function in the morning. And once that happens, you can rest assured that things are back to normal.