Suggest treatment for elevated homocysteine levels

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I AM really worried abouit my homocysteine level rising to 54 and i have deficiency ion vitamin b and D am i really getting into bad cardio vascular disease?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You shouldn't worry to much for this findings.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all you shouldn't worry to much for this findings. Only severe elevated Homocysteinemia (more than 100) is considered to be dangerous for early atherosclerosis and need to be treated.

Fortunately your levels are considered to be moderately elevated and need only healthy lifestyle diet and vitamin B supplement.

If you were my patients I would recommend to do as follows in order to normalize the levels of Homocystein and to reduce the risk:
- Quit smoking
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Take vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid supplements
- Avoid foods reach in methionine especially:
a) nuts,
b) beef, lamb, turkey, pork, fish etc.
c) cheese and dairy,
d) eggs, . For people looking to build muscle, the bioavailability of methionine is greater in animal foods, particularly dairy.

Hope this will help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 10 hours later
Thanks doctor. Your reply says I should avoid eggs,meat and nuts cheese and dairy can you confirm if this is correct as I have heard to have these food in good amount
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should continue with a low methionine diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Yes you have understood well. A diet low in methionine have a positive effect on homocysteine metabolism.

During fasting on in patients with low methionine diet the homocysteine is metabolized to methionine. This is why you should continue with a low methionine diet.

Wish you health !
Dr. Shehu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad