Suggest treatment for ear pain when suffering from swimmers ear

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have swimmers ear and have been treating it with Otosporin drops 3 times a day for a 10 day course. This is my 6 day applying them. It was much better but today is starting to get painful again. DO I need to go back to the GP today to see if they can give me alternative eardrops or will I be OK to wait the full 10 days and go on Monday? If I wait and its worse tomorrow could I go to a MInor Injuries Unit instead as the GP will be closed?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get back to your doctor...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I do understand your concern and hence advise you consult your doctor immediately.

The reason behind this, is to rule out fungal infection, following prolonged use of otosporin ear drops.

If it's a fungal infection, the fungus will have to be cleared.

Meanwhile, you can take OTC pain killers for pain relief.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 33 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I have been prescribed Locorten-Vioform eardrops, which I have been using for 24 hours. How long do you anticipate these will take to make a significant improvement? Swabs could not be taken on a Friday and I was told to go back for one next week if it does not improve. Which day should I give it till before going back? Is there an alternative treatment you could suggest for me to mention if it does not work? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use this ear drops...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

If the diagnosis of fungal infection with otitis externa is correct, then you are on the right medicines.

I usually prescribe this drops for 3 days and call for follow-up after that. Most of the patients usually respond within 3 days (if they don't have any other medical problems, such as diabetes).

Apart from the drops, I usually prescribe oral antibiotics with an analgesic. This will hasten the process of healing.

Talk to your doctor. It's a very simple and common problem. With effective treatment it should heal within 3-4 days.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D