Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for diarrhea and severe back pain

Question
Thank you doctor. I wanted to explain everything to you word for word. Like i said earlier, this started last Tuesday. It's almost been a week now. I work as a custodian, and now that it's summer, I'm doing a lot of lifting, such as desks, chairs, a piano the other day, etc. When I first got the symptoms, I could've sworn it was a UTI. Like stated earlier, I took 2 at home tests and both came back negative. Finally Thursday I sucked it up and went to the doctor. They did a urine dip stick test and thst came back normal. The protein was just a little high. I left the doctors and the urge continued. That afternoon I called to make an appointment for a physical to be done. I haven't gotten one done in 6 years. I fasted from midnight on and my appointment was for 8:30 am Friday morning. I was a nervous wreck. Sure enough I went and the doctor said I was perfectly fine. They then took 4 vials of blood, that were sent to a lab along with my urine test. I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day. On Saturday the doctors office called me with the results. I spoke with the nurse and she said everything was normal. My vitamin D was a little low, and my cholesterol was kinda elevated. She said everything else was fine though. I was relieved, but still curious why I had the urge to pee. I went to the office, and retained a copy of the results. Of course me being me, I went online to search up what everything means. That's where I'm at now. These are my symptoms: frequent urge to urinate. A loose stool for the past week. I have a dull pain that goes down my left leg from time to time, and a pain in my lower back that goes down to by butt. From time to time I get a uncomfortable or burning sensation that feels like it's coming from the bottom of my scrotum. Here are symptoms that I don't have: no burning when urinating, no signs of blood, no constant or steady back pain. Here are certain things that I've noticed: I don't wake up in the middle of the night to pee. I have no nausea. When I wake up in the morning, I pee and it's for a normal time. Now, here are my questions for you. If you can please answer each one, I'd appreciate it. First, what do you think my problem is? Why do I have the urge to urinate, and all the tests came back normal? Why am I having diarrhea for the past week? Do you think it's anything to be concerned about? Could it be kidney, bladder, colon, or testicular cancer? Could it be kidney stones? Could it be anything serious? Like stated before, I'm very nervous, that my organs down there aren't working properly. If there was something seriously wrong with me, would my blood test and urinalysis come back abnormal? Can it be just stress, or anxiety? Last Friday I started taking Lexapro to help me out. There 10mg. My last thing is yesterday I was by my friends house, I was sitting on the floor for about 45 mins, and finally stood up. When I stood up I felt a feeling I never felt before. It wasn't pins and needles, but more of a numbness feeling going from my lower back down my butt. It lasted for about 5 minutes. I started thinking to myself if maybe I have a pinched nerve causing all of these problems. Is that possible? I saw something online called a sacral nerve that can affect these areas. Like i said, this feeling is there all the time. I feel like it's at its worse after I drink something or after I go to the bathroom. Please help doctor, I'm really not living my life, and it's all I think about. I'm really afraid of dying, and I feel like I am. The diarrhea scares me alot too. I'm going to add my lab results to this report. Can you please review them for me, and let me know if there's anything to worry about? And with the tests that they took, and everything coming back normal, does that rule out anything seriously wrong with me? I hope to hear for you soon. Thank you doctor.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
anxiety psychogenic bladder and sciatica

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for detailed explanation
You have basically two main issues.one is anxiety and the other one is work related backaches and referred pains.
Now the labs all clear and reports all fine urge to urinate is classic explanation of anxiety. You need more than lexapro for that.a complete psychotherapy with cognitive behavioural sessions to help. There are bladder exercise you can perform to train and control your bladder.this is called psychogenic bladder where anxiety triggers urge to pee.thats it.no organic pathology. Just the game of nerves.diarrhea is also psychological. U see BRAT diet banana apple sauce rice and toast and use fiber to help.focus on electrolytes replenishment.
Now the pain and referral to the leg and butt indicates a lumbar disc compression or prolapse resulting In compression of sciatic nerve.all the pins and needles and pains are because of it.stop lifting heavy weights.get managed for it by an orthopaedic. Physiotherapy Exercises, Pain Killers Muscle Relaxants And If Need Be Epidural Steroid Injection Are Some mostly used Approaches. Rest and lie on flat surface and av I I if ting heavy weight.
Nut shell anxiety and compressive neuropathy are the main issues.rest are collateral damages.
Seek help and get managed and stop obsessively worried rather over worried for such innocuous issues.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX