Suggest treatment for dermatitis in an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Is it save to give deflazacort oral suspention to 5month baby who has dermatitis ?from last 3 months we noticed discoloration on his whole body. Dr. Said it is a topic dermatitis and suggest deflazacort and xyzal for 5days .and liquid paraffin cream for skin application.I also use coconut oil 2 3 times a day to moisture his skin.but instead of this he has redness on her face.I can't able to give him deflazacort properly .please help me.in how much time this deseasedisease will properly gone?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Topical medication would be helpful

Detailed Answer:

Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
Atopic dermatitis is one of the most common skin problem in infant.It is considered to be allergic in origin and chances are more if there is family history of allergy.
Deflazacort is a steroid and can be used in management of atopic dermatitis.
I would like to know if there is scaly lesion in the scalp also.
I would prefer to use topical steroid (mometasone) ointment as I have seen good result with this.

I request you to attach an image so that I better able to help you out.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 20 minutes later
In how much time this disease will completely gone?yes Dr.also he has scaly lesion in his head.what can I do for him?is parasoft and deflazacort safe for my son
Is it OK that I am using coconut oil
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Topical steroid us safer than oral deflazacort

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

You can use coconut oil and parasoft for moisten the skin.But the main management is applicatiom of steroid ointment.Deflazacort is an oral steroid and topical application of steroid is considered to be safer than oral.
I suggest you to apply coconut oil at the bed time.Give bath to the baby with mild baby soap and then apply mometasone ointment for 7-10 days.Avoid contact with the eye.You will see start in improvement within 3-4 days,but it may take 10-15 days for complete resolution of the skin and scalp lesions.

Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 16 minutes later
Thank you for answering my questionsquestions.one thing I also want to ask u that my child are taking other medicines uprise d3 and novamax and hydil for that infection for 3 days in meanwhile I stop giving him deflazacort is it ok.to stop it.my son also get irritated with itching in body what can I do.?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cetrizine is a better alternative to hydil (hydroxyzine)

Detailed Answer:
You can continue giving novamox and uprise d3.
Novamox is an antibiotic (amoxycillin) and uprise d3 contains Vitamin D.
According to the recommendation vitamin D supplementation should be given to all infants till one year of age.So continue novamox as advised and uprise d3 till one year of age.
Hydil contains hydroxyzine an antihistaminic/antiallergic and it provides relief in itchiness and allergic reaction.
Cetrizine is the active metabolite of hydroxyzine and considered to be safer because of less sedation.
You can stop Deflazacort and start mometasone cream after consulting your physician.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 14 minutes later
What do u think about emosoune and atogla .is this discoloration completely recoversrecovers.how much time it take
Brief Answer:
With treatment complete resolution is possible in more than 90% cases

Detailed Answer:
Emosoune is an steroid(clobetasone) and it also works well in atopic/seborrheic dermatitis.
Atogla is an emollient with antibiotic and there no much data regarding its usefulness in this condition and personally also I don't have much experience.
With proper treatment with steroid it may take 2-3 weeks(mostly 4 weeks) for near complete resolution.