Suggest treatment for darkening of face due to sun exposure

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: When I live in XXXXXXX (india) my face color white but when i go Uttrakhand (India) then its turn white to black. please suggest what i do for it.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to over sun exposure or high intensity sunlight there.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Darkening of your face can be due to over sun exposure or due to high intensity sunlight at your new place. Swimming in water bodies having sun light exposure also gives tanning (darkening) faster.

You can apply sun screens to avoid this. For skin whitening you can apply kojic acid based creams or Vitamin C based ones. Use hats for covering from sun exposure while going out.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 45 minutes later
Thanks you for your great suggestion

I will apply this...
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have any further queries.
I am happy to help you any time.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 3 days later
Nowaday I am using kojic acid based creams as suggest by you.

What could be any side effects of its.

any other solution if you have for the same (as discussed previously).

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of kojic acid are rare.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Kojic acid cream also has side effects but reported very rare. When used for long term skin sensitivity is the main side effect. Rashes also can occur. Considering other creams used kojic acid doesn't have much side effects.

Use sunscreen also which helps in more whitening of skin gradually. Taking vitamin E and vitamin C supplements also will be helpful. Using Vitamin E oil locally also will be helpful.

You can also use ayurvedic skin whitening creams which you can get over the counter like Himalaya herbal fairness cream or vicco turmeric skin whitening gel.

Other skin whitening remedies like hydroquinone has wide range of side effects including risks for cancer.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 14 hours later
I am using Kojic acid based cream when i go to sleep and when I go to office.

As you said Use sunscreen cream, when i use ?

Please share timing to applying those creams.

And My forehead more then black my cheeks, what i do for it.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sunscreen is used in day time

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Kojic acid cream you can apply during night time. Sunscreen is used in day time while having sunlight exposure. You can also use face masks containing natural ingredients like honey, lemon or orange peels. This you can apply before using kojic acid during night time. This will help to remove the darkened areas also.

While going into sun also use some hats which cover your face from sun exposure.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 44 minutes later
Please clear my below mention 2 queries -

1. My forehead more then black my cheeks, what i do for it.

2. I have little doubt it's work, which you suggest above about my face color.
Reason, My Face color nowadays good because Now I'm living in XXXXXXX (Hot area). I haven't any problem in XXXXXXX with my face color but when I go Uttrakhand (Cold area) it's automatically change white to black with in 4 to 5 days. when changing start on my face i use sunscream, skin whitening creams ect. at uttrakhand. but its not working. when i came from Uttrakhand to XXXXXXX then my face color automatically change to black to white without used any cream or treatment with in 4 to 5 days. While i born in Uttrakhand but their atmosphere kill my face color.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow.

As your color change back to normal when you come back from XXXXXXX then it can be due to decrease moisturization in the climate of XXXXXXX Another possibility is more dusty and smoky environment. In case using face washes twice daily will be helpful.

In such case you can use moisturising creams or gels. Using aloe Vera gel is also helpfulin such case. You can use natural face mask twice weekly also.

Darkening of one part is due to over activation of melanocytes in that area. If kojic acid or vitamin c based creams is not helpful then you can approach a dermatologist for prescription creams like one with combination of hydroquinone, tretinoin and flucinolone.

Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN