Suggest treatment for cough in a 3 year old

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: my son ( 3 years old) has cough, can you please suggest good cough syrup(less dose).
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
maxtra cough syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Can you provide us more details like how long he is having cough, whether he has any wheezing sound from the chest, is there any fever or runny nose along with it.
If it is only for a day or two without wheezing, you can try maxtra syrup .
I usually prescribe 3 ml thrice daily for 3 days.
But if he doesn't improve or if cough gets worse, it is better to get um examined by your nearby doctor to look for chest or throat infection.
Wishing him speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Arun 17 minutes later
he is having running nose from one month. cough started today. we are giving steam inhalation to him. cold was coming on and off. is this common in this season? he is gng to playschool. may be bcoz of other kids who are having cold? do i need to consult a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
try same medicine

Detailed Answer:
Cold and cough is common in this season, it is mostly viral.
Try maxtra, if there is no improvement in 48 hours, consult your pediatrician.
Follow up: Dr. Arun 29 hours later
my son (3 years)has fever now from yesterday night. we are in outstation not in a position to go to hospital.we have given paracetamol syrup (3 times in a day). when we gave the medicine fever is not there for 3-4 hrs and again it is coming . can u suggest some medication otherthan antibiotics? whether it is a viral fever or normal . how to recognise?
Answered by Dr. Arun 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
try meftal

Detailed Answer:

You can try Syp Meftal P thrice daily . I usually prescribe around 3ml at this age each dose.
If throat is red or if he is sick looking it could be bacterial, but difficult without a complete evaluation to say if it's viral or bacterial.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T