Suggest treatment for colloid nodular goiter

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My daughter has been diagnosed with having a rounded hypoeachoic sol of size 18mmx15mm having some cystic components over the left lobe of her thyroid gland. Right lobe size is 28mmx12mmx12mm and Left lobe size is 37mmx24mmx24mm. Isthmus is normalin thickness measuring 3mm.
T3 =1.27 ng/ml T4 =7.82ng/dl TSH =2.67niu/ml. ESR =34mm. Slight swelling in throat is visible from outside which is moving during swalloing food. Please suggest mode of treatment. Is surgery necessary?
Her age is 16yrs.
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iodine deficiency correction, along with thyroxine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.
Based on clinical symptoms, reports and query, my opinion is as follows:
1. Left lobe of thyroid is showing cystic changes. Diagnosis, if fine needle aspiration cytology or biopsy done would show nodular colloid goiter.
2. Iodine deficiency could have led to colloid goiter. Fine needle aspiration can be tried to remove any fluid from the left lobe cysts to reduce the size of the lesion.
3. Mild hypothyroidism is seen due to reduced T3 level. She will require thyroxine hormone externally. Right lobe and isthmus are normal
4. Surgery might be required only for cosmetic reasons (visible swelling) at present. Otherwise, surgery is usually advised when it starts compressing pharynx or larynx causing difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Otherwise not necessary now. If iodine deficiency is corrected, the size would not probably increase.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad