Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for colloid nodular goiter

Answered by
Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 849 Questions

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My daughter has been diagnosed with having a rounded hypoeachoic sol of size 18mmx15mm having some cystic components over the left lobe of her thyroid gland. Right lobe size is 28mmx12mmx12mm and Left lobe size is 37mmx24mmx24mm. Isthmus is normalin thickness measuring 3mm.
T3 =1.27 ng/ml T4 =7.82ng/dl TSH =2.67niu/ml. ESR =34mm. Slight swelling in throat is visible from outside which is moving during swalloing food. Please suggest mode of treatment. Is surgery necessary?
Her age is 16yrs.
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iodine deficiency correction, along with thyroxine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.
Based on clinical symptoms, reports and query, my opinion is as follows:
1. Left lobe of thyroid is showing cystic changes. Diagnosis, if fine needle aspiration cytology or biopsy done would show nodular colloid goiter.
2. Iodine deficiency could have led to colloid goiter. Fine needle aspiration can be tried to remove any fluid from the left lobe cysts to reduce the size of the lesion.
3. Mild hypothyroidism is seen due to reduced T3 level. She will require thyroxine hormone externally. Right lobe and isthmus are normal
4. Surgery might be required only for cosmetic reasons (visible swelling) at present. Otherwise, surgery is usually advised when it starts compressing pharynx or larynx causing difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Otherwise not necessary now. If iodine deficiency is corrected, the size would not probably increase.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Esr

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching .what the reason The doctor has started working on your question. Once the doctor submits the answer,...

doctor1 MD

My husband has had these symptoms for over a year: extreme fatigue , dizziness & slight headache. These symptoms have come and go all this time. he was sent to a neurologist and his meds checked. Since Oct. the symptoms have become worse and now...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, My wife is having dry cough for past 4-5 months. We have visited doctor as well and doctor has said that it is allergic cough . After having the medications prescribed by him, there was a bit relief for initial 1-2 days but, now it is...

doctor1 MD

my grandmother is 75 years old and he had a test of blood everthing was fine except esr,the rate of esr was 97 and she also have a problem of coughing nearly about one year but the doctor told us that there isnt any serious problem but now he said might be she is suffering from tb i dont know what to do i am really worried about her

doctor1 MD

my father has a problem in the throat, so doctor said for a blood test. in his Immunoassay report he has T3 3-6 ng/ml 0.85 -2.02 T4 23.0 ug/dl 5.14 -14.1TSH 0.005ulu/ml 0.27 - 4.2 . in pathology report differential count (DC) 70% - neutrophils 27% - lymphocytes 03% - eosinophils. TOTAL LEUCOCYTE COUNT (TLC) 6400 c/cumm ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE(ESR) 38(H) mm/hr. so what problem does he have? He has been given T.Neomarcazole 10mg tablet morning & night for 1 month

doctor1 MD

Hi doc, my name is bobin, and i have a 2 months old baby girl who is having high ESR level, 140 as per lab results...She is having inflammation on her cheek and swelling was also there which has decreased now...When consulted with our pediatrician she said some infection was there and recommended for taking advent injection 150 mg for seven days to reduce ESR levels...My baby is active, she is feeding well and all other sensations are normal.. Kindly advise why ESR levels gets raised in a 2 month old baby?