Suggest treatment for cold and cough

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have got cold since yesterday afternoon and the phlem seems to be going in the throat which will also lead to caugh. I have very weak immunity for flu and infections can get v v severe. Only 30 days back, I had a severe infection and I had consulted at Medanta in XXXXXXX and I have been taking Vitamin C supplement as well for a month. I took one Crocin cold & flu tablet yesterday night (and also steam with vicks) and one tablet at 3:15 p.m. today (as I was sleeping till 2 p.m. today). I want to desperately avoid my infection getting worse as it then gets out of control. I am thinking to take another Crocin cold and flu at 7:15 p.m and then Alaspan at 10 p.m. before sleeping. I am also mentioning below medication prescribed last time when the flue was v sever and I had to take leave for 5 days with 104 fever for 2 days.
Kindly advise

Prescription – taken one month back
Antibiotic is Advent for 5 days twice a day (guess this is v strong medicine)
plus Alaspan for 10 days at night
plus Calpol 500 mg for 2 days thrice a day
plus gargles, steam
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My recommendation as follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have cold and post-nasal drip which also result in cough. It is most probably viral in nature. It usually stays for 5 - 10 days depending on the virus type.

I would recommend the following:

-Antiallergic medicine like cetirizine along with ambroxol. One brand name is cetvel-AB. It can be taken upto 2 times a day if the symptoms of runny nose, postnasal drip are present

-Crocin or Calpol 500 mg upto 4 times a day for fever

This should clear the symptoms earlier.

Antibiotic advent, alaspan, crocin cold and flu are not needed.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee